Thursday, February 19, 2009

School districts...ugh


I have to say that I have heard many horror stories from many families about dealing with school districts. And I had my own when it took me 3 months to get a return phone call from our special ed provider(SASED) regarding getting Rorey into speech therapy.(nearly 3 years ago) BUT I have never been more disgusted than I am right now, since we received a letter from SASED and I had to tell Ellie she can't go to school anymore. Apparently they changed their minds about her eligibility. Now how in the world am I going to explain to a 4 year old who speaks limited English that it isn't her fault, that she didn't do anything wrong, but...even though it was the highlight of her week, even though she drastically needs this, even though they let her come for 3 weeks, it's done....no more. What makes me most upset is that apparently they have been using these "sessions" to further evaluate her (which we were never told) and have now concluded that she doesn't qualify. If I had known that, I would have approached this differently, I would not have told Ellie it was a long term thing. I would not have called it "school ...like Rorey and Riley." Now I have a devastated child who I can't console because she can't speak English. BUT she doesn't qualify for English as a second language.(ESL) Does anyone else see the irony in this?

OK I'm done whining, even if no one reads this I feel better just getting it off my chest.

4 comments:

a little leprechaun said...

Hi Dana! I'm so sorry! That is completely stinky! Can you enroll her in a different preschool? Was it the interaction with the other kids she enjoys? Or the learning? I'm so sorry!!

Gretchen Magruder said...

agh!!! i'm calling the school tomorrow about selah!!

Melinda said...

Dana-
It makes me sad to hear that news. We had to fight to get Meah placed into Speech Therapy at the last school dist. we were in. I went to a meeting, taking with me lots of research and continued to argue my point until they agreed to place her into speech therapy. Keep Fighting!!

kelsey said...

push. see if you can send her to a neighboring district. i believe if they are public, they have to do something for you :). aurora's school couldn't help her, so they referred us to a neighboring district who can better meet her needs (she won't attend this school forever, just until her english gets better and she gets caught up academically)... maybe you can go that path- even if it's just for a year.